Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"In Leah's Wake" by Terri Giuliano Long

In Leah's Wake
by Terri Giuliano Long
306 pages (Nookbook edition)

Short Version: Leah wants to make her own decisions in life, not be ruled by soccer or her parents.

Why I Read It: I think I downloaded this book when it was $.99 for a day. It sounded interesting so I thought I'd check it out.

The Book: (From Goodreads)
The Tylers have a perfect life--beautiful home, established careers, two sweet and talented daughters. Their eldest, Leah, an exceptional soccer player, is on track for a prestigious scholarship. Their youngest, Justine, more responsible than seems possible for her 12 years, just wants her sister's approval. With Leah nearing the end of high school and Justine a seemingly together kid, the parents are set to enjoy a peaceful life...until Leah meets Todd, a former roadie for a rock band.

As Leah's parents fight to save their daughter from a world of drugs, sex, and wild parties, their divided approach drives their daughter out of their home and a wedge into their marriage. Meanwhile, twelve-year-old Justine observes her sister's rebellion from the shadows of their fragmented family-leaving her to question whether anyone loves her and if God even knows she exists.

Can this family survive in Leah's wake? What happens when love just isn't enough
?

My Thoughts: I was disappointed by this book. I don't really know what I expected but it definitely wasn't what I got. 
Most of the characters drove me crazy. I understand Leah's wanting to act out because of all the pressure from her parents to play soccer. I'd probably get sick of it too if I were her. She starts hanging out with Todd thinking he is the coolest guy ever. He pressures her into things like drinking, drugs, and sex that Leah probably wouldn't have gotten into if it was not for him. Then Leah's mind just seems to get lost. She believes she is going to marry Todd even though she gets mad at him quite often, she thinks her parents don't love her at all, and she believes she can truly make it on her own as a 17 year old with no job experience or even a high school degree. At least in the end she starts to figure herself out.
Then there are Leah's parents. They cannot seem to get along enough to try to get their daughter back, which ultimately pushes her away even more. Instead of being a united front, they were completely divided. They were so focused on Leah and her problems they sort of forgot Justine was even around.
Justine is the only character I liked. She is smart and sees way more that everyone expects her too for a 12 year old. She wants to protect Leah and sees how her parents push her away even more. 
As I think over this book, I think I was expecting more action and emotion. I expected more of the drugs, sex and parties from Leah's side of it, and more devotion and trying from her family. Overall the book lacked these strong emotions, which could have made it more enjoyable to read.

2/5 Stars

#8 in 2012 Mount TBR Challenge
Click here to see full list










#16 in 2012 Ebook Challenge
Click here to see full list

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great TinyMCE plugin, i really like it I’ve ever thought, that the standardeditor from wordpress has too less functions, so that’s a really good plugin. Thnx for sharing!
    Yüz Germe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great news with us. I hope we will get great knowledge by this.
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.