Monday, July 16, 2012

"A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness

A Discovery of Witches
by Deborah Harness
588 pages (nook book)


Why I Read It: This is a re-read for me. I wanted to refresh my memory before reading Shadow of Night. 


The Book: (From Goodreads)
Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.


My Thoughts: SPOILER ALERT! MY REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED  :o)
This book is just as good as I remembered. The first time I read it I believe it was the first book with witches that I had read and I was mesmerized. The historical references are also very interesting to me. They make the story seem more real, as if there could be vampires, witches, and daemons living in this world.


There are a lot of small details and connections in this book so I am unsure of where to go with this review. A Discovery of Witches focuses on Diana Bishop, daughter of two very powerful witches, and Matthew Clairmont, century old vampire. Diana refuses to use her magic after her parents died when she was seven. But after calling up an enchanted manuscript and falling in love with a vampire, she soon can't ignore her magic any longer if she wishes to survive what is ahead. The Congregation is made up of 3 vampires, 3 witches, and 3 daemons and act as a governing law over the three species. They want the enchanted manuscript Diana called up as well as the secret to her powers, and they will use any means to try to get what they want. With the Congregation out to get her, Diana must face the fact that she is a witch, and a powerful one. She steps up to learn her magic, which is much more powerful than anyone ever expected.


I really enjoy the relationship between Diana & Matthew. There are no immediate, love at first site feelings, especially between a witch and vampire. Of course, when love is forbidden it only seems to become stronger and eventually that does happen. Their feelings grow for each other slowly through the first few chapters before announcing their love for each other. Their relationship is a big part of the book since they are determined to change the hundred year old rules about species mixing with each other. 


Reading through the different settings is also fun. They begin in Oxford where Diana is studying for the year. Then Diana and Matthew head to France, Sept Tours to be exact. Here Diana learn more about Matthew since he is in his home with his mother. Matthew is full of a century of secrets that he is very closed off about. The descriptions may not be the most detailed but I can still picture myself in the castle settings. My favorite part is when they are in the Bishop house in New York. It is the exact image of a witches home, and is haunted too. I love being able to picture the scenes and feel like I'm watching what is happening as I read. In the end they time travel back to the year 1590 in England. I'm sure this is where Shadow of Night will pick up and I can't wait to begin reading it. The first time I read A Discovery of Witches I did not think Matthew and Diana survived their trip back in time. At the time I did not know there would be another book coming out. After re-reading I have reconsidered my previous conclusion and I am hoping they fulfill their goal in travel back in time.


5/5 Stars


#14 in 2012 Ebook Challenge
Click here to see full list

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.