Saturday, April 21, 2012

World Book Night 2012

World Book Night 2012 is coming up! April 23 the US is joining the UK and Ireland in the action of spreading reading love by giving out World Book Night Paperbacks. This awesome event began last year in the UK and there is talk of more countries joining in upcoming years. World Book Night focuses most of their attention on adults, whereas World Book Day is celebrated in the UK and Ireland for children. World Book Night also promotes reading, books, libraries, bookstores (pretty much all things book/reading related) through social media and traditional publicity all year round.

Unfortunately it is too late to become a giver for this year's WBN. However there are many events going on in libraries and local bookstores over the weekend and Monday for the World Book Night.

I am soooooo bummed I am not home for this. St. Louis is holding a "reading flash mob" under the Arch. People will arrive a few at a time, sit down on the steps and begin reading. Eventually the words "Read Books" will be spelled out. How cool is that?!?! I want to be a part of this awesomeness but I will still be in India. Next year I am taking vacation on World Book Night so I can join in on the fun! The event is to be recorded and posted on YouTube, so I will share it as soon as I get my hands on it. Any bloggers from the St. Louis area who want to participate, it begins at 12:30pm. You can see the article from Alive magazine in which I first heard about this event here. Anyone not from STL, you should see if there are any awesome events in your area to participate in. Let me know what you find. I would love to hear what events are going on around the country.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.